Maria I. Villanueva Scholarship
The Maria I. Villanueva Scholarship was established in 2014 through the Texas Kidney Foundation to provide financial assistance for college students who currently undergo dialysis treatment, transplant recipients, living donors or their families.
Mrs. Villanueva suffered sudden kidney failure in the early 1990s and was on dialysis for over 7 years while working full time at Baptist Memorial Hospital as a medical technician. Although financial hardship hit her family through those years, she always made her son’s education and success in a private school a top priority. Maria received her kidney transplant in the fall of 1999.
The scholarship is awarded annually in the summer and applicable to one year or two semesters. This scholarship is not automatically renewable. Previous recipients may reapply the following spring. The deadline to apply is May 31, 2022. The panel will review all applications and essays this summer and the scholarship award winner(s) will be announced in June. The scholarship will be applied to the student(s) school and used to help pay for any tuition, books, and fees. The finalists will be interviewed by the selection panel by phone. The scholarship is open to all residents of San Antonio and the surrounding counties.
Congratulations To Our 2020 Scholarship Award Winners!
- Andrea Acosta
- Jesse Sanchez
- Jenessa Rivera
- Gabrielle Casillas
The deadline for the 2022 scholarship is May 31, 2022. THE FUNDRAISER AND SCHOLARSHIP WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN JUNE!
Please Note: Incomplete Applications Will Not Be Considered
CRITERIA TO APPLY
- Applicant must be one of the following: a dialysis patient, transplant recipient, living donor or the child of a dialysis patient or transplant recipient.
- Recipient must be residents of Bexar County, Texas.
- Student must be enrolling in a post-secondary education school.
- Each applicant must provide at least one letter of recommendation.
- Applicant must provide a 300-word essay emphasizing how kidney disease has affected them, their career goals, financial need and how all of this has shaped their character.
- Applications should be received by May 31, 2022.
STEPS TO APPLY
- Complete and submit the electronic application.
- Submit supporting documents no later than May 31, 2022. Supporting documents include: your 300 word personal essay and your letter of recommendation. Please e-mail an electronic version of your supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail the documents to: Maria I. Villanueva Scholarship
Texas Kidney Foundation
4204 Gardendale Suite 106
San Antonio, TX 78229