Maria I. Villanueva Scholarship
The Maria I. Villanueva Scholarship was established in 2014 through the Texas Kidney Foundation to provide financial assistance for college students who currently undergo dialysis treatment, transplant recipients, living donors or their families.
Mrs. Villanueva suffered sudden kidney failure in the early 1990’s and was on dialysis for over 7 years while working full time at Baptist Memorial Hospital as a medical technician. Although financial hardship hit her family through those years, she always made her son’s education and success in private school a top priority. Maria received her kidney transplant in the fall of 1999.
The scholarship is awarded annually in the summer and applicable to one year or two semesters. This scholarship is not automatically renewable. Previous recipients may reapply the following spring. The deadline to apply is June 1. The panel will review all applications and essays this summer and the scholarship award winner(s) will be announced in July. The scholarship will be applied to the student(s) school and used to help pay for any tuition, books and fees. Finalists will be interviewed by the selection panel by phone.
CRITERIA TO APPLY
- Applicant must be one of the following: a dialysis patient, transplant recipient, living donor or the child of a dialysis patient or transplant recipient.
- Recipient must be residents of Bexar County, Texas.
- Student must be enrolling in a post-secondary education school.
- Each applicant must provide at least one letter of recommendation.
- Applicant must provide a 300-word essay emphasizing how kidney disease has affected them, their career goals, financial need and how all of this has shaped their character.
- Applications should be received by June 1, 2019.
Incomplete Applications Will Not Be Considered
STEPS TO APPLY
- Complete and submit the electronic application.
- Submit supporting documents no later than June 1, 2019. Supporting documents include: your 300 word personal essay and your letter of recommendation. Please e-mail an electronic version of your supporting documents to MMartinez@txkidney.org or mail the documents to:Maria I. Villanueva Scholarship
Texas Kidney Foundation
4204 Gardendale Suite 106
San Antonio, TX 78229